Grilled foods utilize less energy and melt fat more efficiently. A nutritious diet can help you avoid a variety of health problems. The nutritional value has not changed because cooking has become less common. To avoid a dangerous sickness, you must obviously keep a tight check on the meal to ensure it is not burned.
You may substitute healthy homemade dishes for traditional burger-style barbecue components such as baked beans, slaw, macaroni, and fried chicken. Alternatively, go a different route with a visually pleasing bean or fruit salad. Bring grain-filled buns.
What is the Healthiest Way to Cook Recipes on the Grill?
You can have a healthy (yet delicious) BBQ experience in a variety of ways, including:
Lean meats should be used: Before marinating, trim away any excess fat and remove the skin from the meat. The absence of extra fat also implies fewer fire flare-ups!
Avoid highly processed foods: Stick to homemade burgers and other natural ingredients to reduce the number of calories and saturated fat. Hot dogs and burgers that are pre-packed are filled with harmful preservatives and can be unhealthy.
Make homemade marinades: Not only are many homemade marinades quick and easy to make, but they also include less sugar and salt.
Combine your protein with a variety of vegetables: You may add a variety of vegetables to the grill while cooking to compliment the quick outdoor grill recipes below. Zucchini, maize, beets, mushrooms, and so forth! You can do the same thing with a variety of fruits, including mango, pineapple, and others!
Flip the meat: According to recent studies utilizing hamburger patties, flipping food regularly may help prevent the production of HCAs. Instead of using a fork, use tongs or spatulas to turn the meat without piercing it (releasing juices that flow into the coals).
Below are some of the easy outdoor grill recipes that you can enjoy with your entire family.
Healthy grilled chicken recipes:
Grilled Chicken Thighs:
This recipe is best for summer grilling. They are always tender and juicy and have the greatest seasoning based on what cut of chicken you have on hand.
Follow this simple 4-step procedure to grill to perfection every time!
1. This may not appear to be a significant step, but before you do anything else, make sure to dab your chicken with a paper towel. The exterior will get beautiful and crispy as the moisture is removed, while the insides will become delicate and juicy.
2. Dry rub the meat with any of your favorite rubs. We suggest you use the Flying swine chicken rub. Allow at least 30 minutes for the chicken to rest before grilling. This will give them a good amount of flavor.
3. Once your chicken is fully rubbed, the next step is to grill and sauce it:
i) Prepare your grill to 420 degrees Fahrenheit.
ii) Grill chicken thighs skin-side down for 4-5 minutes over direct heat. This will give you that lovely, crispy skin!
iii) Then flip the chicken and cook for another 4 minutes over direct heat.
iv) Last but not least, flip the chicken and place them over indirect heat. Cook for an additional 4 minutes.
Your thighs should be virtually finished at this point! To caramelize the sauce, rub on some of your favorite BBQ sauce and simmer for a few more minutes. When your thighs reach an internal temperature of 165°F, you know they're done
Tip: How do you tell when the chicken is done?
1. Grill chicken thighs for 15 minutes or until they reach a temperature of 165°F on the inside. Keep in mind that the thickness of your chicken thighs matters, so thicker thighs will take longer to cook. Use a Meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken.
2. Remove the chicken from the grill, and place them on a plate to rest for 10 minutes.
This healthy recipe works on both gas and charcoal barbecues. We chose a gas grill since it allows us to control the temperature more precisely, but a charcoal grill would produce equally delicious results by giving the recipe a smoky flavor.
Grilled chicken breast:
This healthy recipe is suitable for both outdoor and indoor cooking. Before being skewered with a variety of grilled vegetables, chunks of chicken breast are bathed in lemon, garlic, oregano, and olive oil. Everything is soft, juicy, and ridiculously wonderful when it comes off the grill.
1. Cut the chicken into 12-inch chunks so they cook rapidly.
2. Fresh vegetables like bell peppers, zucchini, and red onion are ideal for grilling. You can add the veggies of your choice.
3. Lime juice
4. Olive oil to get a Greek blend.
5. Red Wine Vinegar: Adds a rich, zesty flavor to the meat while also tenderizing it.
6. Garlic: The best garlic is freshly minced garlic cloves, but garlic powder will suffice.
7. Dried oregano to give the marinade a hint of Greek taste.
8. Dijon mustard for a depth of taste.
1. Place the breasts in a large mixing basin and cut them into bite-sized pieces.
Combine the marinade ingredients in a bowl and toss with the cubed chicken.
2. Then cover it and put it in the fridge for approximately an hour to marinate.
4. Turn the skewers over and baste with the leftover marinade until the chicken is fully cooked and the veggies are lightly browned.
5. Serve these Grilled Chicken Breasts with grilled veggies, pasta salad, and chimichurri sauce
Healthy Grilled Seafood Recipes:
Grilled Fish Tacos:
Rather than deep-frying the fish for these tacos, as a healthy alternative, we coat it in a flavorful Moroccan Rub and grill. To cook quickly, make sure the fillets are no more than 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick.
Flipping fish on the grill can be challenging at times because the fish can adhere to the grill or fall apart.
Invest in a grill basket that comfortably accommodates 4 to 6 fish fillets and secures them in the basket for simple turning. ORDORA Fish Grill Basket is a perfect choice as it's large and deep enough to hold whole fish.
Follow the below 5-step procedure to get the perfect Fish Tacos:
1. In a small bowl, combine cayenne pepper, lemon zest, oil, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Rub the Moroccan Rub all over the fish. Allow the fish to absorb the flavor for 20 to 30 minutes.
2. To prepare coleslaw, in a medium mixing bowl, add cream cheese, mayo, parsley, lime, lemon, sugar, salt, and pepper; whisk until thick and creamy. Toss in the cabbage and mix well. Keep it refrigerated until you're ready to use it.
3. Place the grill on medium-high heat.
4. Use a grilling basket, grill the fish for 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until it is done with a fork.
5. Place the fish on a serving plate and cut it into big slices.
Pass the fish, tortillas, coleslaw, and taco garnishes separately to serve the tacos family-style.
Simple Grilled Salmon:
In less than 15 minutes, you can have a delicious grilled salmon fillet!
1. Before grilling, cut each salmon fillet into individual pieces, as it will be easy for you to flip. For cutting through the fish skin, sharp kitchen shears will work far better than a knife.
2. Heat the coals on an outdoor charcoal grill, a gas grill, or an indoor grill pan to medium. Cooking the salmon over medium heat (350°F-400°F) results in a wonderful, blackened surface while keeping the inside perfectly moist and delicate. It also gives salmon a charred flavor.
3. Season the salmon after brushing it with olive oil. This keeps the fish from adhering to the grill and aids in the creation of crispy skin.
Grilled salmon tastes amazing with Tomato balsamic salad or Tomato, onion, and basil salad. For an extra flavor, they can be served with Fried corn.
Healthy Vegetarian Grill Recipes:
Grilled eggplant is one of the popular recipes. Crisp on the outside, delicate on the inside, eggplant will go with anything you're grilling next. Grilled eggplant can also be used as the foundation for a robust vegetarian meal.
2. Olive oil
6. Salt to taste.
1. Preheat the grill to medium-high temperature and cut the eggplant crosswise, making 1/2 inch rounds
2. Combine the oil, garlic, and fresh herbs in a mixing bowl.
3. Brush the eggplant with the oil.
4. Flip the eggplant, and brush some oil on the other side as well. A basting brush can be used for brushing, as it gives an additional flavor.
5. With the lid closed, grill the eggplant for 10 minutes, flipping halfway through.
This recipe can be served with grilled shrimp and grilled corn.
Grilled Romaine salad:
1. Preheat grill for medium heat and lightly oil the grate. Season romaine lettuce with steak seasoning and drizzle with olive oil.
2. Place the sliced side of the lettuce on the hot grill. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the lettuce is somewhat wilted and browned. To serve, drizzle with lemon juice.
This easy recipe can be prepared in 10 minutes. You can pair it up with grilled beef or grilled steak
Clean your Dirty Grills
Grilling healthy does not mean that you forget to clean your grills. You should also maintain your grilling environment clean. Here are some of the reasons why you should keep your grills and grilling tools clean:
1. Remove Carcinogens that Have Built-Up
Even if you scrape your grill after each use, carcinogens can accumulate on the cooking grate over time and be transferred to your food during the cooking process, posing a health danger.
Cleaning your grill is one of the most efficient ways to remove carcinogens from your grilled meals, so make sure to scrub it completely after each usage.
2. Longevity of Clean Grills
A grill is a big investment, and if you don’t clean it regularly, you might have to replace it sooner than you think. Cleaning your grill and grill grate on a regular basis will keep it in tip-top shape, ensuring that it will last years longer than if food particles, rust, or sauces are left to sit without being scrubbed away. You can achieve better grill marks with a clean grill.
Before using your grill for the first time, coat the grates evenly with a high-heat cooking spray like canola oil while they are still cold. After that, turn the grill to medium heat for about 15 minutes, or until the oil burns.
3. Keep Bacteria Out of Your Food
You wouldn’t cook on a skillet you hadn’t cleaned, so why would you cook on a grill you hadn’t sanitized? A soiled grill attracts germs and bacteria, which can contaminate your meal and make you unwell. Clean your grills with a grill brush.
4. It Will Take Less Time For Your Grill To Heat Up
Grilling will take a little longer if your grill is caked in food particles, sauces, or stuck-on trash. A clean grill will heat up evenly and cook food more quickly than one that is unclean.
5. Grease Build-Up Can Lead to Flare-Ups
You have to keep an eye out for flare-ups, which can burn you or start a fire. Failure to keep your grills clean could result in an accumulation of grease, which could lead to a flare-up later.
6. Rust Can Be Avoided
If ingested, rust is not only ugly on a barbecue, but it may also be dangerous to you and your family. Maintaining a clean grill can help prevent rust from forming on the grill grates, warming rack, or burners, lowering the risk of rust entering your food. If you have a grill cover, put it on after every use, because water can cause rust.
How to clean your grills and grilling gears?
1. Turn the leftover food on the grill to ashes
Once you are done grilling, leave the grill on for 10-15 minutes so that the leftover food on the grill is turned into ash. You can later remove the ash and clean it. This way you can prevent the accumulation of leftover food on the grills.
2. Clean your Grill Grates
Cleaning the grill grates will help to remove the food, grease, bacteria, and debris from accumulating on the grates. Using a steel grill brush, clean the grill grates.
3. Clean the burners and burner plates
Clean the sections that are easily accessible with a soapy sponge. Rinse it with a moist rag. Because the burners usually have ash residue rather than food, removing the built-up muck should be quite simple. The plates are located beneath the burners.
Between the burners, you should be able to easily pull these out. The grill brush can be used to clean the plates. This will remove large bits of fat and food from your grill's air filtering system, keeping it clean.
Making a healthy diet is the key for a person to keep good health. It's not just about eating healthy food but also about avoiding junk food. Healthy grilling can be considered a way to upgrade the overall grilling experience and introduce healthier items on your menu.
The best part of preparing healthy BBQ recipes is that it is easy to prepare and quite delicious. Try out these healthy grilling recipes today if you haven't already!